Although many people don’t expect to suffer a severe injury in a Wesley Chapel retail store, it does happen. A slick floor or a simple spill on a staircase can cause devastating harm, unbearable pain, and substantial medical expenses that can forever alter a person’s life.
That said, if you’ve suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident in Wesley Chapel due to another person’s intentional or negligent actions, you shouldn’t be left to deal with the mental, physical, and financial consequences on your own.
Instead, you need experienced legal help in your corner, fighting for your rights and going after any compensation you deserve. Fortunately, with the Lucas, Macyszyn, & Dyer Injury Firm, you can get this legal assistance and so much more. We’ve committed to offering aggressive legal representation to clients affected by slip and fall injuries for the past 20 years.
Due to our vast experience of taking on such cases, we understand what a trying time this can be in someone’s life, so we strive to efficiently get them the compensation they deserve.
What Is a Slip and Fall Claim?
A slip and fall accident can occur in almost any location, from a dangerously uneven sidewalk to a wet floor in the grocery store. While not every scenario involves legal liability, valid slip and fall claims are filed and settled in Wesley Chapel every year. In fact, one study found that falls are a leading cause of unintentional death in Florida—in one year, there were 3183 fall deaths.
Another study found that falls, slips, and trips are the second leading cause of workplace deaths in the U.S, and Florida accounts for 17 percent of all worker deaths.
Some of the places in Wesley Chapel that have a high slip and fall accident potential include Walmart Supercenter, Bealls Outlet, Target, Lizard Thicket, and Wesley Chapel District Park. These accidents can also occur in various stadiums spread across Wesley Chapel.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Florida Statute § 768.0755 mandates that victims of slip and fall injuries that occur on someone else’s property can hold the owner of the property liable for their injuries and the related expenses. If you can prove that the property owner’s actions caused or failed to prevent your injuries, a judge might rule that you are entitled to compensation.
Some of the common ways slip and fall injuries occur in stores, restaurants, and other public places include:
- Recently waxed or mopped floors
- Spilled food or liquids
- Unsecured cords
- Uneven surfaces without any warnings
- Rolled rugs, loose floorboards, broken tiles, or torn carpet
- Potholes in a parking lot
- Unmarked transitions in flooring type, including a transition from tile to carpet
- Poor lighting
- Broken or missing handrails
- Absent or broken railings on porches, patios, or balconies
- Uneven stairs
- Cracked sidewalks or other paved surfaces that are damaged
- Items in the walkway including merchandise displays
- Tracked rainwater without cleanup or any other action
What Are the Injuries Associated With Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents lead to roughly 9 million emergency visits annually. Recovering from these injuries typically requires extensive physical rehabilitation and medical care. A slip and fall victim may be disabled or even die in the worst-case scenario. These injuries are particularly fatal to older adults.
So what are the common types of injuries suffered from slip and fall accidents? They can range from minor to severe and even life-threatening. Here is an outline of some of these injuries:
- Broken bones: These injuries occur when there is more pressure on the bone than it can handle. Falls may place enormous force on the body. Slip and fall accidents can break the wrist, hip, and ankle.
- Soft tissue injuries: These injuries aren’t outwardly visible, so you may not realize you have them until days or even weeks after the injury occurs. These injuries can range from wrist and ankle sprains to devastating tears in the ligaments and tendons.
- Traumatic brain injuries: These injuries occur when someone hits their head on the ground or any other rough surface when they fall. Traumatic brain injuries can range from minor injuries like bumps, concussions, and bruises to major injuries like hematomas, skull fractures, and subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: The impact you experience from a slip and fall accident can cause herniated discs or fracture in your vertebrae. These injuries can not only cause significant pain but can also limit your mobility. Damage to the spinal cord can result in temporary or permanent paralysis, sensory impairments, neurologic disorders, and even death.
- Cuts and abrasions: A slip and fall accident can cause cuts and bruises. While cuts and scrapes only require stitches in most cases, when the impact of the fall is hefty, they can also result in more severe conditions like concussions.
- Shoulders and neck injury: These injuries come about when you land on your shoulder or neck in a slip and fall accident. These injuries can also happen from overexertion while attempting to catch yourself during a fall. Shoulder injuries can lead to torn nerves, dislocation, or collar bone breaks. On the other hand, neck injuries range from spinal injuries to muscle sprains and paralysis.
Suppose you’ve incurred any of these or any other injuries in a Wesley Chapel slip and fall accident. In that case, the slip and fall injury team from the Lucas, Macyszyn, & Dyer Injury Firm can help you understand your rights and possibly help you pursue compensation for the injuries and damages you incurred. Call us at 813-849-5353 to learn more about our legal services.
How Do You Prove the Negligence of a Property Owner in Wesley Chapel?
Property owners need to keep their buildings safe. Doing so entails promptly repairing known hazards or warning visitors about them. Most business owners regularly inspect their premises to identify hidden or potential dangers and address them before they cause any harm.
The entity or individual who controls the property is usually liable for an accident on their premises. However, Florida Statutes § 768.0755 mandates that property owners are only liable for accidents caused by non-permanent stuff spilled on the floors if they had actual knowledge of the dangerous situation. A skilled attorney can help you understand and interpret laws about slip and fall accidents so that you can better advocate for your claim.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Slip and Fall Injury Case?
With the help of an attorney, slip and fall claimants can recover both economic and non-economic damages.
These damages include costs such as:
- Related care costs
- Current and future medical treatment
- Mental anguish
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Out of pocket expenses related to your accident and injuries
There are some scenarios where you may not recoup compensation for the total value of the damages you suffered. If you are deemed partly responsible for your injuries, the court may decide to reduce the amount of your available compensation.
For instance, if you were texting when you slipped on a wet floor, the property owner’s insurance company may argue that you are 30 percent liable for your injuries. If they successfully prove that you were partly at fault for the injuries, you’ll only receive a maximum of 70 percent of the damages award.
What Is the Time Limit for Filing a Slip and Fall Claim in Wesley Chapel?
There are limitations to how long a Wesley Chapel slip and fall victim can wait to try and hold the property owner responsible for the accident. This period is typically four years, although it can be even shorter in some circumstances. If you fail to act before the elapse of this deadline, you may lose the right to recover compensation.
You must understand this deadline and protect your right to a premises liability claim as mandated by Florida Statute Section 786.0755. Call us as soon as you can to get started seeking compensation for your injuries.
Can You Raise a Claim After Getting Involved in a Slip and Fall Accident on Government Property?
If a government entity fails to maintain its premises, causing your slip and fall accident, an experienced attorney can file a claim against that county, state, or municipal body. It is advisable to seek the help of a slip and fall attorney who understands the specific laws that govern these types of cases. There are unique processes in cases involving government entities and the damages you can get if you suffered a slip and fall injury on government premises.
How Much Does It Cost for a Slip and Fall Lawyer?
Slip and fall accidents are among the most common ways people get injured in the U.S. In some instances, these accidents can result in a few bruises, but they can result in severe and lifelong injuries in other cases.
The facts and complexity of slip and fall cases vary. As such, the cost of a slip and fall attorney will depend on the complexity and severity of your case, the damages you’re seeking, and the rate of the attorney you choose to represent you.
That said, most slip-and-fall attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. That means you won’t pay anything unless you settle or win your case in court. Until you get your compensation, most attorneys will not require any payment from you while your case is still ongoing.
When working with a lawyer on a contingency basis, you’ll need to agree on how to pay the fees and expenses if you win your claim. Attorneys take a percentage of your final compensation amount. This typically applies to attorney fees. Any expenses incurred by the attorney while representing you will also come out of the amount you recover.
How Much Is the Average Slip and Fall Injury Settlement?
The average slip and fall settlement ranges between $10,000 and $50,000. If a slip and fall injury hurt you in Wesley Chapel, you may recover significant compensation. The settlement can help you pay your medical bills and other accident-related damages.
How much slip and fall victims receive in compensation varies. The settlement amount you’ll get will depend on several factors, including the type of injury, the evidence you’ve gathered, your medical bills, lost wages, among other things.
To improve your chances of getting compensation, you can work with an experienced slip and fall attorney.
How a Slip and Fall Attorney Can Make a Difference in Your Case
It’s not unheard of for property owners to say something along the lines of “I am sorry, we should have taken care of the hazard.” Such a statement indicates negligence. Nonetheless, just because the property owner utters such a statement at the scene of the accident, you can’t assume that they’ll take responsibility for your injury. Whereas an insurance adjuster works for the negligent party’s insurance company, a slip and fall lawyer can work for you.
Among other things, an attorney can help you:
- Determine and document exactly what happened
- Gather evidence and witness statements
- Find the medical care you need
- Negotiate for maximum compensation with the negligent party or their insurance company
- File a claim and take your case to trial if needed
Talk to a Slip and Fall Injury Attorney
If you sustained an injury in a fall or slip accident on someone else’s property in Wesley Chapel, the Lucas, Macyszyn, & Dyer Injury Firm may assist you in building a solid case. Our firm can help you hold the negligent party responsible and recover compensation if you are entitled. You don’t need to face the opposing party alone.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation at (813) 849-5353.